Membership applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Members have an interest in learning comedy as an art, a science, and a business. Steel City Arts Foundation revolves around the following values:
- We are a collaborative environment.
- We foster the creation and promotion of responsible, progressive, compassionate art.
- We help artists whenever possible.
- We are good citizens of our neighborhood and our world.
- Professionalism, integrity, and respect are not optional.
- We act in the best interests of our cause, the community, and humanity.
Membership Benefits Include:
- Cutting-Edge Facilities: Access to a fully equipped podcast studio, recording equipment, cameras, microphones, PA systems, and other indispensable resources for the creation of stand-up comedy shows and digital content.
- Guidance from Comedic Mentors: Creation of mentorship connections with experienced professional comedians, enabling the transfer of expertise, networking, and insights to foster individual growth
- Utilization of Creative Software: Availability of Adobe software and editing bays for the enhancement and creation of comedic content
- Adaptable Performance Spaces: Access to our broadcast studio for both in-person and hybrid performance opportunities, offering diverse platforms to showcase talent
- Wellness and Recreation: Free use of gym facilities for a balanced lifestyle
- Paid Performance Opportunities: Participation in paid performance opportunities at our fundraising events
- Performance and Feedback Opportunities: Weekly feedback mic sessions where seasoned comedians offer constructive feedback, ideas for new punchlines, and thoughtful questions to refine their performance skills
- Access to Literary Resources: Utilization of a specialized comedy library and a collection of comedy vinyl records
- Benefits at Comedy Shows: Complimentary admission to our fundraising shows, expanding the opportunities to immerse in the world of comedy
- Opportunities in Production: The possibility to secure paid producing roles at our annual comedy festival, complemented by free advertising and mentorship for member-produced shows
- Networking and Collaborative Endeavors: Engagement in networking and writing opportunities within our vibrant member community, fostering professional connections and collaborative projects
- Engaging Social Gatherings: Participation in a range of social events and volunteer opportunities
- Enhancements for Creativity: Access to our green screen and writing spaces to infuse creativity into comedic productions
- Nurturing Collaborative Atmosphere: Immersion in a dynamic and supportive workspace that cultivates collaboration and creativity among fellow comedians
- 18+ years of age
- Lives in the Pittsburgh area
- At least one year of serious/consistent experience as a stand-up comedian including at least 50 stage appearances
- The intention to pursue stand-up comedy as your career